VFF KSO Modification for Webbed Toes
|Brand spanking new VFF KSOs|
I posted my dilemma over at Barefoot Runner's Society and they hooked me up with a helpful link (apparently I'm not the only one with these odd appendages.) Someone else had modified their VFFs and so I felt much more confident about making my own modifications. I documented my process in steps with pictures here below.
I consider myself to be a fairly adept seamstress, but VFFs are not your normal "seamed" shoe nor are they easy to manipulate and turn inside out. Well, I couldn't turn mine inside out at all. Which led me to my first realization: This thing is not going to be pretty when its done. So I embraced the ugly and picked a polyester thread that could be easily seen in the photos and is the same pretty gold color of the Vibram's logo. Oh so pretty.
|STEP 1 - Marking the cut|
STEP 1 - The first cut.
I marked where I was going to make the first cut. Mostly for the purpose of documenting, but also so I could visualize how this thing was going to be stitched back together. Being an artist, I'm a very visual person and I need pen and paper, or in this case, chalk marker and shoe.
|STEP 2 - Yikes! Cutting!|
|Trying out the cut|
STEP 2 - Just cut it.
I cut the shoes with some VERY sharp craft/fabric scissors poking the scissor point in on the outside of the shoe. I was extremely careful that I didn't accidentally double the fabric and cut through pieces I didn't want cut. I actually started out with a small slit and then tried my shoes on to see how it felt, then cut a little more until I was sure of the cut.
|STEP 3 - Making the fold and stitching the front|
|Stitching the fold|
|Stitching up towards top of toe|
I started working on the top of the shoe by pushing my finger in between the layers so that I could separate the top from the bottom of the shoe. The fabric naturally wants to bunch up so I folded it inwards as much as I could and started stitching up. I stitched it a little farther than the webbing of my toes. I tried the shoe on again a few times to ensure I was stitching high enough.
|STEP 4 - Separating the two layers|
|Stitching up the bottom of the toes|
I stitched the bottom of the shoe just like the top. This was a little more tricky since there seemed to be less fabric. I folded the extra fabric inwards again just as I did on the top.
|STEP 5 - final stitching|
|Stitching across the the middle|
I found it easier if I inserted my hand into the shoe while I stitched across the middle of the toe.
|Happy webbed toes|
Voila! Webbed toe friendly VFFs.